Ready... Set... Be Great!!
I’m running in a 5k race tomorrow.
It seems every time I lace up my running shoes I’m thinkin’ about doing it to it… while I would humbly add that I’m not exactly a jock or strong athlete, I just enjoy my run.
Well, tomorrow I’m running in a race but this one is a little different for me. This is the race that I want to perform at my peak in… next year. My current goal for running is to try and peak in one year, to see how good I can be in “the old guy era” of my running.
That makes this race… well… not really a race. I’m not planning to run another race for 3+ months… going to cruise through the long, hot summer, pile on the miles, and focus on endurance… then start to work on improving my speed and times in the fall.
Even though this race doesn’t really mean anything, here are some of the thoughts that are going through my mind over the past two weeks as I’m running…
- I need to get my weight back down to 165 (I’m certain that some of the extra is piled on my booty! )
- I feel good… should I speed up?
- Maybe I should up my mileage today to run 8 instead of 4
- I could just run intervals twice this week and improve my speed a weeee bit
- Finish strong… or just cruise on in?
- My knees are feeling really good lately, maybe I should up my weekly mileage
What should I wear for the race just kidding!
I’ll still probably be jockeying for position at the starting line and have butterflies in my gut as I await the start of the “race”…
I’m still going to be “doing my best”…
but in this circumstance that would entail remembering Ecclesiastes 3:1…
“To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven.”
So here are my goals for tomorrow:
- Run a decent time and shoot for an even pace
- Learn the course so I’ll be familiar with it for next year
- Be Great
Wait a sec, Be Great?
That’s right, my main goal for tomorrow’s race is to Be Great. That would mean I’m going to be intentional about serving other people’s needs. I’m pretty sure that God will come up with the details for this task… Let’s see where He leads me
The Question: What could you do today to Be Great and intentionally show God’s love in a positive way and serve other people’s needs?